HistoryThe 4017 Bar & Grill is centrally located in the Brisbane north seaside suburb of Sandgate and occupies the historic original Post Office building. The building is an architectural feature within Sandgate dating back over 125 years. We have summarised a brief history of this iconic building and its evolution over the years and invite you to enjoy the read ..
Construction of the original Sandgate Post Office building was commenced in 1886, assumed to the design of J.J. Clark, a then, Government Architect. Due to it being built in a swampy area, considerable planning and work had to be done to raise it above water level. It was hence built on a series of brick stumps.
The Post Office was opened to the public in May 1887, at a cost of £2,025. The value of the building site at this time was £800. The Sandgate Post Office was distinctive in that it was of masonry, not timber construction like the majority of post offices in the Brisbane region at that time. Masonry buildings were, by and large, usually reserved for provincial towns or cities. It opened with a staff of thirteen and Mr Bruce Beale was assigned to the position as Postmaster.
The Sandgate Post Office soon became the telegraph terminal. A telephone line was opened from Brisbane to Sandgate on 1st May 1898. The magneto telephone exchange, installed following the direct line to Brisbane, was enlarged some time later with a 600- line central battery switchboard. The telephone exchange was cutover to automatic working on 7th September 1958. A number of extensions using modern equipment has occurred since that date.
Following World War 2, the balustrading was removed from the verandahs, and were enclosed with fibro sheeting. A fire escape ladder was also installed. The 1980's saw a conflict of interests in regards to demolition versus preservation of the building. Renovation work began in 1984 and completed in time to celebrate the building's Centenary on 7th May 1987.
Australia Post as we know it, ceased trading in the building on 16th January 2009, relocating to smaller modernised premises further down Bowser Parade, Sandgate. P J Kelly Building purchased the Post Office building in January 2009. Renovations began in September 2009 to restore the building for the purpose of a bar and restaurant.